Thursday, October 16, 2008

Labyrinth Gloves and Burgundy BFL and Silk

When I went to the Waterloo County Knitter's Fair last month I picked up some yarn from Zen Garden. I know the women behind the label from Ravelry. She is a regular in one of my favorite forums Love to Dye. I was in a booth and I turned around and saw her logo. I thought "OMG! That's Roxanne's yarn! I must buy some." It is gorgeous yarn. It was two skeins tied together, one large and one small, that complemented each other. I thought it would be perfect to try some colour work with.



I decided to challenge myself to design and knit some gloves with it. Now this a challenge since A) I have never knit gloves, just mittens and gauntlets; B) I have never done colour work and C) This is my first project that I am designing that is complicated. But I like to challenge myself. Makes life interesting.

I took out all the Barbara G Walker stitch books that my library had and started to go through them. I knew I wanted to do a cable or twist stitch pattern for a bit of texture and finally found Labyrinth in Charted Knitting Designs. After some experimentation and restarting a few times to give it to fit, I came up with this pattern.

The first glove is done. Now am starting the second. Hopefully the second will go a lot faster then the first.

I've also been spinning. I finished spinning my burgundy BFL and silk hankies. They are all plied up and looking lovely. It came out to 252 yards at 13 wpi. Definitely enough for a small project.


Here is a close up.

Not sure what I want to spin next. There is an interesting spin-along theme in one of the forums that I am in but I need to dye some more fiber. Maybe I'll get around to do some dyeing this weekend.

No comments: