Sunday, November 9, 2008

Darkside Cowl

I have recently finished knitting a project with my own handspun Raspberry Silk! I don't think I really knew how satisfying it is to knit with your own handspun. I envisioned it, but I did not full understand it. When I look at the cowl I see all the parts of me that went into it. From selecting the fibers I wanted to dye to the experimentation in the dyeing process to the actual spinning and plying, then finding a pattern suitable for my yarn. It was a great journey. I must state that I did not foresee this cowl when I first started the yarn. The whole process was an experiment but it came out wonderfully.


And there it is! That's me modeling it. The cowl is intended for a co-worker of mine for Christmas. Pink is her colour so I hope she will like it. Here is a close up of the stitches.


I have also been spinning for my Newfoundland Iceberg yarn. I seem to naturally want to spin thin. Not sure if it's me or the fiber or the spinning wheel that wants to spin thin when I spin BFL but the BFL singles came out thinner then I envisioned. Oh well. It will be pretty anyway. Here are the BFL singles.



Next I will spinning the silk hankies to ply with the BFL singles. I love spinning silk hankies so this will be lots of fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your FO looks fabulous!!!

Aiii, almost everyone I know is knitting with their spun yarn. Me? I spin and dye faster than I knit. :(

Baashie said...

Thanks Mei!

A woven scarf with your handspun would be fabulous! From what I hear weaving doesn't take as long as knitting. Can't wait to see it when you make one.