Saturday, September 27, 2008

Three New Handspuns and Some Dying

I've been quite busy since I got my new Ladybug two weeks ago. The first thing I tried spinning was the polypay pencil roving that I had bought awhile ago. It was really boring to spin with the spindle but I figured that it would be perfect to learn how to spin on my new wheel. Here is one of the skeins that I made. It is really fluffy. Think I'll try kettle dying with it and knit a fulled bag with it. It is a little too rough to knit something that is close to the skin.




Then I decided to try spinning some of my superwash merino / nylon blend since I have so much of it. I picked a roving that was blue, orange and golden yellow to start since it was not my favorite colourway. If I messed it up it would not be so bad. It came out all right. Thick thin about 63 yards and chunky. No idea what I'll make with it. If anyone has any ideas let me know.





I also did some dying. Dyed about 25 g of silk hankies and some more superwash merino / nylon. Came out pretty good. The silk came out much lighter then I thought it would. Next time I'm going to use a stronger concentration of dye. and steam it longer.




With the left over dye I dyed a complimenting superwash roving. The red comeout more raspberry pink but still nice. I dribbled brown over the pink in areas and it turned a purply hue. Interesting. Can't get purple from mixing red and blue together but I can with pink and brown. The brown must have some blue undertones.





Did one more roving. I used emerald green, brown and leftover red. The experiment was to see how complimentery colours looked when next to each other and overlaped. The effect was very nice. There is not alot of red in this just drops here and there.





A couple of days later I started to spin the silk hankies. I must say the silk hankies are tough. They look all fragile but they really arn't. Had to use my muscles to draft. Spinning from hankies is probably not as smooth as from silk rovings but it has a nice textured and shin. I really like it. As I was spinning I realized that 25 g is really not alot and if I was going to ply it with itself I'll bearly have any yardage. I decided to spin and ply it with the merino that I dyed with the similar colours. I really like how this turned out. The silk is lighter in colour and adds a shin and softness to the superwash merino. I got about 165 yards of sport to worsted weight yarn. Propbably make a cowl or something with it and gift it for Christmas.



Well that was a pretty big update. I really need to get into the habit of blogging more often as a do stuff so when I do update it's not this hugh post. Hmmm it's up there like doing housework more often so I don't have to spend a whole day doing it. Oh well. One day I will have good habits.






No comments: