Thursday, April 3, 2008

First Dye Job

Today I finally took the plunge into dyeing. Below is what I came up with. It is still cooling as we speak and I am trying to be patient and not touch it.


As with anything I decide that I will learn, I read everything on the subject that I could get my hands on. I read articles, books from the library and manufacture directions.


After reading about the many techniques on how to dye wool, I decided that I would follow more or less the instructions in the Knitty article Dye Fingerprint. I first made 2% dye stocks of the colours I wanted and then mixed them with half vinegar and half water solution. So basically I would have 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar in my dye solution to pour over pre-soaked roving. With the lid on I heated the fiber in the oven at 250 F for 30mins. I'm going to let it cool until I come home from work later. So hopefully this way all the dye will be absorbed.

I'm very excited about it. The next post will show the finished roving all ready to start spinning. Yay!

No comments: